Tuesday, January 23, 2024

From Tunisia: Dramatic, Skilled Electronica From Deena Abdelwahed

    I don't remember exactly how I discovered this amazing artist from Tunisia- I'm sure it was via some sort of Bandcamp rabbit hole.  I do know it was around the time of her Dakar album which came out in early 2020.  That record is amazing, but I regret to say that I haven't kept up with her output until now.  This evening I am listening to her last record, Jbal Rsas (released September, 2023 so I'm not that late) and I am just as blown away by this latest album as I was by the earlier one.  Pounding, rhythmic Mid-East drumming frame a mix of regional and outer space sounds that sound like Muslimgauze and Autechre joined forces.  

   Non-Western countries are not immune to the unrelenting flood of junky, uninspired electronic music plaguing the world.  Though the base of the pyramid may be broad, deep, and forgettable, those that make truly unique and exciting electronic music deserve our attention.  Ms. Abdelwahed truly deserves our attention.




No comments:

Post a Comment

From France: Crocodile Rock

  Given the historical influence French language and culture has had on all things Louisiana, it's not terribly surprising that a band f...